Wednesday, February 27, 2008

It's Not Me, It's You...

Feeling a bit blue today.

Getting dumped will do that to you.

I got the message this afternoon - yeah, the message. Cold, huh?

Apparently, I have until Saturday to pick up my dry cleaning, as they are going out of business on Sunday.

Sigh. I really thought this time it was for keeps, too. True, I've believed that before...

I have the worst luck with dry cleaners. Someone else should really choose them for me, because clearly my judgment is faulty. This break-up is easily my 400th since I began requiring such services. ...OK, maybe not 400th. But what a string of losers I have chosen...

There was the one that ruined every light-colored shirt I brought them and indignantly insisted I was to blame. I was naive then, and somewhat intimidated by the owner's Turkish accent, so I guess I didn't "fire" them until the fourth or fifth incident...

Then there was the one with the girl who called to say I had 24 hours to pick up my stuff or it was going to be given to charity...turned out she had called several customers who, like myself, wore the same size as she, thus making her the "charity". She had already been discovered and fired, but still I moved on to the next loser...

...Who proclaimed to pick up and deliver to my place of business, and conveniently appeared in my life at a time when I had no time. A successful relationship for a while, until one time the delivery part didn't so much happen. Ever again.

No need to keep going. I'll just say, I played it safe this time and chose a big fat corporation - one with a zippy name and trademark colors, one that gave me a personalized nylon bag for toting my stuff to their establishment, that proudly displayed its good press in laminated stands on the counters. The stable choice. The secure choice.

Apparently, my paltry twice-a-month visit was not enough to sustain them. So I am on my own once again.

No matter how many times it happens, it never gets any easier.

1 comment:

sarah said...

This is why I don't own anything that requires dry cleaning. Or, wait. Maybe it's because I don't have a job. Oh yeah, that's it.