Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Oh, Hey There...

You know, it really bums me out when everything goes right. I mean, what am I supposed to write about?

Sure, I could tell you all about how spectacularly my long Thanksgiving weekend went. I could tell you about how my absolutely perfect Christmas tree - you know, this one - is already up and decorated. And how our brand new little outdoor snowmen - replacements for these guys, who didn't survive the ten feet of snow that kept them buried until March - are up and twinkling for all passersby to enjoy. I could even tell you about the fantastic early Christmas present I received: The "For Sale" sign put up last week by this neighbor. I could tell you about all those things, and I know just what you would say.

Bo-ring.

I mean, seriously. Why would you want to hear about all that? Where's the drama? Where's the conflict? Where's the emotional investment?

I'm sorry. These things don't usually happen to me. Certainly they don't happen all in a row.

If it's any consolation, my new snowmen did get beheaded last night by a fierce and sudden wind...fortunately, their heads couldn't travel too far, what with all the wires from the twinkly lights. Fifth Grader and I reattached them this morning, sooo...not really the satisfying ending you were hoping for...

With any luck, we'll brew up some trouble this week - something really tasty, maybe a holiday mutiny. And we do have the 3-day long Snowflake Invitational to look forward to next weekend. So there's that.

I will leave you today with a quote from Third Grader. As barked at her big sister in the back seat of my car in a fit of fed-up sibling rivalry:

"You know, the university does not revolve around YOU!"

That is all.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The image of snowmen heads rolling across your lawn with wires hanging from them like icy cyborgs made me laugh. I'll send some trouble up your way if you're really bored. What would you like? A family squabble? Landlord issues? You name it, I'll send it. Because I care and I share.

Anonymous said...

Third Grader is hilarious!