Friday, March 7, 2008

Bread and Some Other Stuff

FIVE tornado-free posts, by the way. Five.

Now, a few tornado anecdotes:

Firstborn and I finished our second Stone Face Award Nominee book yesterday, the interminably long and painful Bread and Roses, Too. Holy freaking hell, I thought it would never end! It was educational, at least: a fictionalized account of the Bread and Roses Strike of 1912, mainly intent on the experiences of the strikers' children. Yeah, I'd never heard of it before, either.

My child absolutely refused to read aloud the phrase "hell's bells," the main character's exclamation of choice. Handed me the book every time it popped up. ...That's good, right? I'm patting myself on the back as we speak.

She has selected something called Sheep for our next read. She brought it home a few days ago and, hurray!

It's really, really small!

******
Secondborn - grade 2, may I remind you - whipped out the word "ergo" last night. As in:

Me: You're my favorite you in the whole world!
Her: I'm the only me...ergo, your favorite me.

Yes, sometimes we really talk like that. But I don't say "ergo". Who says that? Little Miss Fancy Pants does, apparently.

******
Speaking of puberty before I'm ready to deal with it (there was just no other way to segway, sorry): did you know that all the fourth grade girls are wearing bras? That's what I'm told. That explains why two-packs of them keep turning up at checkout on Target outings; mysteriously covered by a box of Cheezits, or slipped onto the conveyor belt at the last minute.

Fourth. Grade. There is no observable need for this new garment, not by her nor any of her friends. But I dare not say this to her, due to her recent unexplainable heightened sensitivity and abrupt bouts of moodiness. Wait a minute...

Well, at least she isn't cursing yet. That's something, right?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I plan on remaining blogless so you can have my space on the www. I look forward to viewing your new site. Will you be using the same profile pic ? Summer is coming. How about a two piece ?

Suburban Turmoil said...

Awww. That is hilarious about the bras. I had one in THIRD grade (it was more like a satiny cut-off t-shirt that I didn't need AT ALL), and I thought I was the coolest person ever each time I wore it (which was like, once a week!).

Anonymous said...

I find it rather amusing that my (sort of) namesake is using such advanced vocabulary. You asked for it! Is she reading the dictionary (like I did) too?

Anonymous said...

the old hiding them under the cheezits trick huh? i taught her well. though, i did teach her that to get cd's , not bras.