Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Gotta Love The Spring Spectacular

I am very disappointed in myself. Last Thursday was Second Grader's spring concert, and I totally intended to write about it. And then Friday came, and Saturday...and here we are all the way at Wednesday. And I still haven't bragged about what a mighty fine square dancer Second Grader is.

Yes, indeed. Queen of the Do-Si-Do, that one. Which is a good thing, since there was no singing at the spring concert. Though why I would go in expecting such a novel thing at this stage is an excellent question - and the answer is: because they call it a concert. Duh. But hey, I can't say it wasn't fun to watch.

Also, so very relieved that the "audience participation" element, about which Second Grader forewarned, was scratched from the program of the K-3 Spring Spectacular, especially since certain relatives in attendance felt it necessary to sit in the front row. The front row! Are you people mad? Do you not understand the shenanigans of which this performance-driven student body is capable?

Please note that the Spring Spectacular, like its counterpart, the Winter Musicale, was split in two. For those of us with tornadoes in Grades 4-6 Plus Band, welcome back. Have a seat. We are the big kids, so our theme for the evening? Rock 'n Roll, my friends. Rock 'n Roll.

But FIRST, the band. Which means the Band Instructor. I think I love the Band Instructor. He's just so into it, and he uses the word "arrangement" a lot - which is just a great word, people, I don't know why - and he makes Twornado smile and play music. How can you not love a man like that? I think Twornado loves him a little, too, because all of a sudden she has decided she doesn't want to quit band...

Let's move on now. Miss Music Teacher informed that the upper grades have been learnin' them some Rock 'n Roll history, and we will now perform for you a selection of ditties which will make it clear why you had to dress your boys in white T-shirts with the sleeves rolled up, and pin poodle cut-outs onto your daughter's skirts, and by the way, you're welcome for making the girls all wear ponytails but sorry again about the white T-shirts, they do look kind of sloppy now that you mention it. (She only actually said the learnin' part, by the way.)

Then a large group of children at various stages of early puberty sang songs by Elvis Presley and Little Richard. And they clearly had no idea what these songs had to do with anything. They squirmed and lip-synced and generally looked bewildered. My favorite number was the Beatles' selection, "I Want To Hold Your Hand" - you want to see some grossed-out kids, make them sing "And when I touch you I feel happy inside" in front of their parents.

I was glad to get this whole "where it all began" medley out of the way, actually, because now they have opened the door to bigger and better themes. I propose Bon Jovi night, or maybe Hair Bands: the Early Hits.

No? Too soon?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Yeah. Too early. Those hair bands need to have some hits first.

-cheers