Wednesday, July 23, 2008

It's All Coming Back To Me

We are quickly getting our groove back - if "groove" is code for God-Forbid-We-Should-Go-To-The-Same-Daycamp-When-Two-Different-Ones-Miles-Apart-From-Each-Other-Is-An-Option. I have run full loads of the dishwasher and the washing machine as many times in the past two days as I did the entire three weeks they were gone. And there are ten thousand pairs of shoes in the kitchen, right where they got kicked off. So, you know. Back to normal.

Oh, and bedtime? I know that some folks who read this are grappling with putting toddlers and babies to bed and I just want to say to these people: stop your whining. Seriously, I feel for you, but you have no idea. Ten-year-olds cannot cry it out. Trust me, I've tried it. The only one crying is me. The last resort solution to this problem remains the same - bring them into your bed - but this child is a gymnast. Have you ever shared a bed with a gymnast? Don't answer that. (I once worked with a guy who married a dancer, and he frequently complained about how she somehow took up every inch of their king-size bed with her string bean of a body. This didn't seem to be a problem I needed to pay much attention to at the time, nor did I care to be reminded on a daily basis of how freaking skinny his wife was, given my own new motherhood status. Mini-karma, I suppose.)

Well, just when we should be settling back into our daily insanity, we are preparing to leave again. Friday afternoon we are headed to Yonkers, New York to meet up with friends -grownup and Tornado-size - for a big ol' girls' weekend. I understand there are some Manhattan activities planned for Saturday, will share about it all upon our return. I've never been able to leave Manhattan without bawling, but usually I'm alone, so it will be interesting to see if I can contain the waterworks in front of this crowd. No promises.

For added fun, Second Grader is going for an x-ray of her ankle tomorrow, as she has been climbing stairs on her knees and hopping around on one foot all week. I suspect a sprain or potentially a fracture. This would make skipping around New York City a very special experience indeed.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

When I would go home for a visit, my nieces and nephew would like to crawl into my bed at night. All four of them. I usually ended up on the couch by morning. How can such little bodies take up so much space?

Have a great time in Manhattan! There's a lot going on this coming week and you are going to have so much fun!

Anonymous said...

What do you ladies have planned for your New York trip? You have to live it up!