Monday, July 21, 2008

What's Black and Green and Red All Over?

That would be the tires of my car.

Stay with me here.

So last night the Tornadoes were expected to touch ground around 11 p.m. Naturally, they were delayed. Severely delayed, in fact - stuck in Newark (always Newark) after a perfectly uneventful first flight from Dallas, waiting for four hours for their connecting flight home. This of course meant that I had to stay awake and poised to dash off to the airport once they started taxiing. That call finally came at 1:30 in the morning.

On top of the ungodly hour, a patch of thunderstorms had passed through earlier in the night. As long as I am tucked in somewhere safe and cozy, I can fully appreciate a raucous thunderstorm. Not so crazy, however, about driving in the aftermath of one. Especially not at night, and especially not out here. Twisty roads. No streetlights. Fallen branches.

Frogs.

Oh, the frogs. Hundreds of them. Masses of teeny little frogs with iridescent white bellies, plinking across the road. Seven miles of plinking frogs. Well about a hundred of them have plinked for the last time, I'm afraid.

Yes, well the important thing is that the girls are back. Yay!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yup, I remember the frogs. Used to make me swerve all over the road, and still I would hit them!

sarah said...

I have driven that road with you after a storm, with the frogs.

DearGodTheFrogs!!! What a massacre!