Monday, September 29, 2008

I Think I Have A Problem. I May Be Having A Problem.

I began to write a little something about the seemingly fun new world I am barreling into headfirst - that parallel universe known as Gymnastics Team, where I play the role of Team Parent #8 - but it is so exhausting and anxiety-inducing an experience at the moment, I've decided to postpone.

Instead, I share this: I think I am addicted to grocery stores.

What other explanation can there be for the fact that I find myself in one every three days?

It's not like I don't plan. Seriously, I'm a planner. I plan meals and make lists and take my lists to the store and purchase the items on the list. There is almost always a loose version of a weekly menu stuck under a magnet on the side of my fridge. I cook things. We eat them. It's all very Zen.

And yet, on Friday night I found myself in Target stocking up on Goldfish crackers and breakfast cereal while Fifth Grader was at practice. This is after committing a heaping sum of cash to what we call "Big Shopping" not more than six days earlier. (...And yes, I know Target is not technically a grocery store - but have you seen their prices?) At any rate, what I really needed was produce, and the grocery store was going to be my next stop. But I ran out of time.

I managed to go the entire weekend without taking my car out of the garage, and that's saying quite a lot. I usually reserve that kind of zany behavior for when there's three feet of snow piled up in front of the garage and I have no choice but to stay home. Somehow I pulled it off. Even in the face of Third Grader wistfully longing out loud for fruit salad, I did not run to the store.

Today? Fruit salad for dessert.

They say the first step is to admit you have a problem, right?

Hello, my name is Tress...

3 comments:

t said...

No worries....I have the same addiction. We could survive in our home for months on the food we have yet I still go out for more........

Anonymous said...

I hate grocery shopping. Hate. It. It may be because the grocery stores here are so small and dingy and if you find something you like one week, well, they may not have it again for several months. That being said, I absolutely love Whole Foods. As I tell Mr. Dingo, it's not grocery shopping, it's an experience.

shelleycoughlin said...

I think I go to the grocery store like every other day. For real. I am so not a planner.