Wednesday, October 1, 2008

We'll Call It the "Special K"

It's October First, which means that it is now okay to acknowledge that it's Autumn. Hello, Autumn. I love you.

I know we are ten-odd days into the season already, but some part of my insides refuses to acknowledge its presence until October arrives. Perhaps it's because those first ten-odd days don't look a whole lot different than the thirty or so before them. It also might be because, once Labor Day hits, my life becomes one big blur and I forget to pay attention for a little while. But right about now is when the foliage begins to change in my neck of the woods - and since I am quite literally surrounded by those woods, I wake up.

"Pretty!" I say to myself. And I am right.

Autumn also means that I have to take my running inside. It's now pitch black out almost until school bus time (Hello, 7:05 school bus. I love you.). I'm not one hundred percent on this, but I'm fairly sure that if I were to run in the dark and encounter a bear or other woodland dwelling wildlife that had not yet had its breakfast, my failure to return home might make a couple of little girls I know cry. This is a shame - the not running outside part, I mean. The good news is that I got a truly kick ass new treadmill about a month ago that - in addition to allowing me to watch movies while I run - has also made me a little less stupid.

In the roughly year and a half that I have been running on a consistent basis, I have graduated from huffing and puffing through the shortest imaginable session to running four miles a few days a week. I only know that it's four miles, mind you, because I drove the route first and measured out a circular mile that I can run four times. It's important that you know that.

Anyway, I began to picture myself running longer and longer distances, even someday completing a marathon. I wondered how one trains for a marathon. I thought it might make sense to try out some road races first. So I signed up for my first 5k, which takes place in about three weeks. Then I wondered how one trains for a 5k.

Luckily, my kick ass new treadmill has an "events" button with programs for 5k, 10k, half- and full marathon. How convenient. This is where the story takes an embarrassing turn. I decided to give the 5k program a whirl after giving myself the following pep talk: "This won't be so bad. How much harder can it be to run a 5k than it's been to run four miles every other day? I can so do this."

Well, yeah, dumb ass. Last time I checked, 3.1 miles was less than 4 miles. I'm telling you, sometimes I just don't know how I've made it this far in life.

This awakening naturally made me completely doubt that I knew what I was doing at all - like maybe I was even running wrong, maybe putting one foot in front of the other on a repetitive basis was completely loony - so I did what I always do when I confront my own stupidity. I read three books about how to run. It turns out that the "one foot in front of the other" method is cool...but the four miles every time I run? Not cool. Who knew?

I am now on what I think is a sensible running plan, and looking forward to completing my first 5k. I hope there isn't an IQ test at registration.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Where are you running your 5K? What training plan are you using? I am so excited for you? Do you want to borrow my kicky new boots?

Firefly Mom said...

OK, I *had* to giggle simply because you sound so much like me. Except the running part. Yoga, yes. Running? Not unless something was chasing me (and yes, I realize that without being a trained runner I would tire out and getting eaten faster ;)

Tress said...

Dingo - I did a naughty thing and photocopied the training schedules in Jeff Galloway's Book on Running. Hopefully the Library Police don't catch up with me.

Also, I want some of those boots. Beats getting an actual tattoo!

Firefly Mom - I've started doing yoga, too, now that you mention it, on my non-running days because I read an article about "Yoga for runners". It probably won't surprise you to know that I was almost paralyzed by the variety the article suggested. Power yoga? Gentle yoga? This calls for much reading. Turns out - not that complicated. And a wonderful break from running!

Anonymous said...

Okay Tress, I run too 3 to 4 miles every other day... what should I be doing? what is the secret mixing up my distance or speed or something?

Unknown said...

Treadmills are used for running....Hmmm. People said getting a treadmill will help you get into shape. Outside of lugging the thing out the back of my truck and into the house, that's about all its done. I'm still not in shape. Might have to try this "one foot in the other" thing.