Sunday, January 4, 2009

Just A Little Something

Here we are, four days into 2009. And I am bored. Bored bored bored. So. Bored.

I don't know about you, but being bored makes me angry. Mostly because being bored is really just cryptic talk for being lonely. And then, once I start making that translation, I find that I am tiptoeing into feeling just a wee bit sorry for myself, which really pisses me off. I mean, really. Why go there? Aren't there so many other people in this world to feel sorry for besides my own pathetic self? Take my next door neighbor, for instance: he is never going to sell that freaking house. How frustrating that must be for him, with his big wooden For Sale sign out there on display and nobody the least bit interested in taking a peek inside. After all his hours of large equipment use and noise pollution to create a personal oasis of landscaping beauty (so I've heard, anyway), the dumb ass is trying to sell his house in the middle of winter. Poor sap.

Then again, that just means he will continue to be my neighbor for the foreseeable future, which, naturally, brings the discussion back to me. Poor, poor me.

Seriously, I've had a nice run the past few days. New Year's Eve was a good time. It definitely felt good to have a house full of people again - as I mentioned, it's been a long time - and I suffered no residual pain the next day, which either means my plan to stick to top shelf vodka really worked or else I simply did not drink enough. I confess that I am one of those people who faithfully, yet annoyingly, proclaims multiple New Year's resolutions each and every year and actually tries to live up to them, but the most I was able to come up with on New Year's Day was a vow to consume all the leftover wine and Sam Adams over a reasonable period of time rather than have to dump any of it out. Yeah, I'm goal oriented like that. Fortunately for everyone, Boyfriend whisked away a great quantity of beer to his own house when he left.

In other news, Third Grader has now reached the Big 9 - a celebratory occasion that we marked by running amok at the Y with thirty-plus other girls overnight (her) and going to the movies to see the Dark Knight (me). I have now gone to the movies by myself exactly twice and I can't decide if I like it. Good points: no popcorn, no bathroom runs, no INCESSANT TALKING THROUGHOUT THE ENTIRE MOVIE. Bad points: back to that lonely thing again. The Official Big 9 Party was held on Saturday at Chunky's Cinema Pub, so I had the opportunity to compare and contrast movie going experiences. What is Chunky's, you say? I assume these types of movie theatres exist under some name in your particular part of the world - I don't exactly live in the epicenter of inventive family entertainment - but Chunky's is basically a movie theater/restaurant. So much more desirable a place to invite nine little girls for three hours than my own recently-made-clean-again house. So how did the experiences compare? I much preferred The Dark Knight over Bedtime Stories, but otherwise it was a draw. Go figure.

I'll skip over the part where I then took the Tornadoes plus one permitted sleepover guest to an indoor amusement center for two hours, as well as the part where I spent my Sunday morning lolling about, reading the entire Sunday paper and six chapters of Loving Frank (a post for another day) over multiple cups of coffee. Which brings me back to my point: I am BORED.

I think there are two possible roots to this problem. Root number one I have already mentioned: a lack of company. I am so sick of my own company I may have to break up with myself. Root number two is it's January, and it's cold, and I'm in the woods. What I wouldn't give for a little city noise right now. What I wouldn't give for some traffic and crowds of people and the smells of a dozen types of food establishments. Or conversely, what I wouldn't give to have someone else right here in the flesh on a Sunday afternoon in January to curl up with and say..."I am so bored."

Hey, nobody can solve everything.

Well, that killed some time at least. Now I'm going to go see what you all have had to say for yourselves lately.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

you should plan an outing. a trip, of sorts- that way, you have something to look forward to, something to anticipate.

I suggest... a trip to New York! whenever you can arrange a sitter?

Anonymous said...

I used to really like going to the movies by myself. If you go with someone else, you have to worry about whether they're enjoying the movie. Maybe that's just me. But I haven't been to the theater in ages. Once moviegoers started behaving as if they were sitting in their living rooms, I decided I'd rather ... sit in my living room.

Anonymous said...

There's nothing wrong with going to the movie's alone! It's only a little awkward when your leaving alone....

sarah said...

I'm sitting in Panera, listening to two little old ladies who are sitting next to each other, lap tops out, talking to each about their blogs and and what they're writing.

That is so going to be us.

Anonymous said...

ok..on your first point about the neighbor..well I should not really say a word...which probably says a lot....on the movie issue...Just last night I said to S. .."I can't even remember the last adult movie we went to.." to which he replied...come to think of it I am not sure he did reply...that being said ...a night out to see a movie that doesn't involve singing adolescents, computer animation, or a man quesitoning,"... why did we see this movie?" sounds great.....