Sunday, April 5, 2009

When It's Time To Change, You've Got To Rearrange

I know that I have barked up the "Sorry I haven't posted much lately" tree once or twice in recent weeks...and yet here I am, creeping on up that trunk one more time. Can it still hold me, I wonder?

I always have a good excuse, you know. Usually it has something to do with gymnastics, or a column deadline, or work-related mental exhaustion. Well this time? It's two out of three. But in a really, really good way.

Let's start with the column. Actually, "Tween Us Girls" is no more - at least not until I find it a new home. In one very big sense, it was sad and disappointing to get the news from my editor that my column had become a recession casualty. In another sense, I'm okay with it. As much as I enjoyed writing it, especially the challenge of trying to distinguish it from AficioNada in style and content, it was a bit too much of a challenge at this point in time. So much going on, so many things to sort out on other fronts...it's a bit of a relief to have something off my plate for a little while. It gives me a chance to focus on some other matters needing my attention, such as my job.

Oh, I quit my job on Friday. By the way.

I don't really like to expend a lot of blog energy talking about my job, but there it is. On Friday afternoon, I left the company that has employed me for a decade and a half, and moved on. And suddenly I feel about a decade and a half younger. Interestingly, I have actually been carded TWICE since Friday. This only leads me to believe that my accumulated stress was showing a whole lot more than I thought. And so I'm guessing this was the right decision, no?

Luckily, I also did not flee alone: Rocky is still with me, as is my girl K. A package deal. Strength in numbers. Future post material...and yes, perhaps I will have more to say about work going forward, now that I am not wanting to gouge my eyes out at the end of every day. But then again, maybe I will have so much more mental energy now that I will astound and amaze you with my variety and humor, and work will be one of a multitude of topics that is no longer off-limits.

Anything's possible. Did I mention that I got carded? Twice?

4 comments:

Dingo said...

Ohhh! Intrigued about the new career plan! Tell us more when you can and good for you for making a change.

flurrious said...

Wow. That sounds very sudden, or has this been in the works for a while?

Tress said...

Flurrious: the nature of my business requires cloak-and-dagger type secrecy when one decides to leave. It's very weird. It's actually been in the works for quite some time. But people I work(ed) with read this, so I had to keep my...keyboard...shut about the whole thing.

sarah said...

I love being carded. Love it.