Saturday, January 12, 2008

If the Nano's a-Rockin'...

Have been car shopping this past week, much to my irritation.

Simply ran out of excuses for postponing replacement of my current deathtrap. Begrudgingly must agree with loved ones that there is a limit on how many snowbanks a girl should find herself wedged into. Also the fact that every known indicator light is glowing steadily.

So fine, I will get a new car. Don't expect me to be happy about it.

How fortunate that Ratan Tata should debut the People's Car at just this moment!

$2500 was about the price point I was hoping to hit. It's what I spent on the last car that I picked out all by myself: a 1979 Formula Firebird.

That was in 1992. (No, I'm not still driving that...though I probably would be if others had not intervened with their whole "It shouldn't spew black smoke like that" bit.)

Here's what $2500 buys today, thanks to Ratan Tata: a ten foot long bubble, apparently made from soda cans, that reportedly seats five. One windshield wiper. No a/c. No radio.

It's ten feet long. It seats five. Think about that for a second next time you pop in a movie for little Mikey back there in the third row of your SUV.

Target market for the Nano are those currently zipping around Bangalore on two wheeled scooters. Scooters seem hip until you cram a family of five on one all at the same time. Suddenly, not so hip. $2500 untangles this family and gives them doors and a roof.

Now, you know the wheels are spinning (pardon the pun) for some young man. The possibilities of doors and a roof, and a certain young lady...things a scooter-bound man can only imagine...

Still, in the Western world, I am staring down the barrel of a car payment. Will probably end up with two windshield wipers AND a radio for my troubles.

No comments: