Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Break Out The Marshmallows...

Last night, upon returning home from my REAL job, I was greeted by a lovely sight. "Lovely" may be pushing it - but at any rate, my cordwood has finally arrived.

Sweet, sweet firewood.

How ridiculous is it that I have been stressing for a week over the arrival of a pile of wood? Not that ridiculous, actually.

Winter, if you recall, is a neverending story in my world. (...This would be an ideal time to hyperlink to last winter's string of posts about the snow that would not end. Alas, do not know how to hyperlink. Please turn to November through March in your AficioNada handbooks.) New Englanders, in general, are all adither right now over the looming cost of heating our homes, and I base this wise declaration on the following:

1) I recently spent a Friday night with friends hanging out, drinking Grey Goose, eating spaghetti...and discussing the merits of pellet stoves.

2) Upon visiting M - one of abovementioned friends - a week later, found that she and Mr. M had purchased BOTH abovementioned pellet stove AND four cords of wood for fireplace. Four cords. Do you have inside information, M?

3) A few weeks ago, in the heating oil equivalent of Whipping It Out, a (female) co-worker and I engaged in a vigorous contest of "Who Can Pre-Buy Cheaper." Sadly, she beat me by ten cents a gallon.

What does it all mean? It means we're all freaking old. Cripe. We're getting our kicks from outdoing each other on how to stay warm. Ever hear of body heat? Or tequila shots?

It also means that I will be stacking wood for the next few evenings, just as summer has finally decided to show up. I'm actually looking forward to it, sense-of-accomplishment-driven girl that I am. Sick, I know. Wait til I tell you about my new workout regiment later...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Becca and I's new house is mostly heated off of the wood stove. Guess what I spent last week doing? Harvesting Timbre!

Can you picture me with a chainsaw, felling trees in my woods, and splitting logs? Neither could I until three days ago.

~Alex

Unknown said...

Hey. Save the stacking of the wood, or the splitting of the wood, until it is cold (but hopefully, not frozen to the ground).

That way, it can heat you twice. Once when you stack and/or split it, and again when you burn it.

I am throwing caution to the wind and betting oil will continue its fall. Plus the pre-buy deadline already passed. Nuts.

Anonymous said...

I love firewood season!! I tell you, the family that delivers firewood to the city makes a killing every winter. I complain about how much it costs but when I'm making my s'mores throughout the winter I forget all about the fact that I've had to sell a kidney for the wood.

Anonymous said...

So with Labor Day around the corner and all, any thoughts on what music you might be listening to while all that wood is burning ?

sarah said...

or, you could just move to L.A. I bet I wont' be paying much in heating fuel this winter...

I know. I know. it was just a thought.