Sunday, August 10, 2008

Oh, Vacation

I have to say, this vacation at home thing is for the birds.

Maybe if I were the kind of person who could lay perfectly still and be happy about it, things would be different. In fact, that's not really the problem, because I can lay perfectly still and be happy about it. Just not with children about.

So what have we done? Well, let's see. Since my last post, we went to the movies twice. Let me pause here and tell you that I am a complete movie theater freak. Totally in love with the whole "going to the movies" experience. Sadly, do not get to go much. Have been to the movies without the Tornadoes only twice in the past year, and both of those times were last month to see SATC. One of these occasions marked the first time I have ever been to the movies by myself, which - if you love going to the movies as I do - I HIGHLY recommend. Unless you can find an ideal moviegoing companion, as I did for my second viewing of SATC - my friend K, whom I cannot thank enough for being quiet and watching the movie and letting me sniffle in silence and again, very important, for being quiet. A belated thank you, K, really.

Tornadoes? Not ideal moviegoing companions. Starting with movie selection. My pick? Mamma Mia!

What we saw? Space Chimps.

Not bad enough that we went to Space Chimps. Tornadoes talk. and talk. and talk. all the way through Space Chimps. Don't ask me what the damn chimps accomplished in space, I don't know. I couldn't hear.

So on Friday I make them go to Mamma Mia! because, you know what? I'm on vacation, too.

Fortunately, they are highly distracted by the constant singing, so I am able to follow along this time. That is, until Fourth Grader throws herself into my lap toward the end and mashes her face up to mine to check if I am sniffling. She finds it comical that I sometimes get weepy at movies. Why is this funny? ...And yes, if you must know. I was a little weepy. And now a little irritated, because she is blocking my view of Pierce Brosnan.

And? It's still raining.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I LOVE going to the movies by myself! It feels like such a treat- sooo decadent, even. My one piece of advice- don't go by yourself on friday or saturday night. Independent turns into pathetic when you are surrounded by people on "date night." Learned that one the hard way...

yay Mamma Mia!