Monday, April 28, 2008

I Think I'm Lost...Which Way To Mango's?

If only I could write this post:

"Have decided to move to South Beach. From now on will be blogging from my hammock, cold drink in hand. Forward all mail to the tiki hut."

The hammock part is totally doable. It could be my version of the cabin in the woods. But with palm trees. Plenty of writers have opted out of the mainstream, isolating themselves for the sake of their art. Why not?

"On second thought, forget about the mail."

The cold drinks could be a problem, though, if I opted for the hammock neighborhood I just visited. Fifteen bucks a drink is not sustainable on a blogger's income.

"Feel free to stop by and say hi, but please do not knock before noon."

About those palm trees: one crazyhead in our group promised his kids he would bring home coconuts. Real coconuts picked from real trees. Picked by him. So they could make coconut drinking cups.

This would explain why he had us all stumbling down the boardwalk at 2 a.m. after a night at Mango's, staring up into the trees for just the right coconuts. Any idea how tall a palm tree is? Ever stared up into one in the middle of the night? After, oh, a billion cocktails?

Crazyhead did not climb any palm trees, I assure you. I guess this is why party supply stores were invented - for the coconut drinking cups.

"If I'm not in my hammock, check for me over in the tiki hut."

Crazyhead also inspired this new game: Everytime you hear the words "tiki hut," take a drink. I don't even think he realized this was going on.

"If I'm not in the tiki hut, no worries. Just popped over to Mango's for a bit. Grab yourself a mojito and relax. Better yet, come join me."

About Mango's...oh, Mango's. You know, I really can't talk about Mango's. All I can say is, go there. Just go. You'll see what I mean.

You may see where the hammock eventually comes in handy here. Also, the "not before noon" rule.

"I've stopped wearing a watch, so can't say what time I'll be back."

One last thing: how the heck did that magician get Crazyhead's watch off?

Oh, don't worry. He gave it back. Two magically disappearing ten-spots later. ("Lookee Lookee!")

I guess you had to be there. Really, you should have been there.

Hey Crazyhead: Have I told you today that I love you?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

OK, I've been there....not exactly Mango's & no $15 cocktails, but free draft beer (so broke) & a nice lawn to sleep off the beer until I could make it to my motel room in Key West. I thought for sure living there would be exactly what I needed, but rest assured a long weekend in the fun & sun is really all that's needed :)

sarah said...

mmmmmm...mojitos....

Anonymous said...

Hello there. I am sure that inquiring minds want to know....did crazy head ever get the coconuts that he was so desperately seeking? Has he hand-carved the Wilson cups out of those poor, lost, frustrated coconuts that cannot speak to save themselves? Is he talking to them like Tom Hanks?
The answer, at least to some of the above, is a resounding YES!!! Crazy head has just returned from another Florida beach junket (this time to West Palm Beach) In his carry-on bag, he proudly displayed three perfect coconuts, green in color. (how he gets to the husk remains to be seen, hopefully all ten fingers will be in tact when he is done) This time, he asked the concierge to climb the tree!
KHOH