Wednesday, April 16, 2008

So How 'Bout those Dodgers?

Here's a sentence I never saw coming: My best friend is moving to Los Angeles.

Of all the places on earth that I have imagined travelling to spend time with her, Los Angeles never made the list. But it appears to be happening anyway.

Truth be told, she's lived some distance from me for a few years now. I'm not one to pin my heart up on the Internet, but let's just say the current five-hundred-plus miles between us are already a bummer. (Another truth be told: we have, in the past, lived even farther away from each other than we are about to. At one time she was in London and I was in Cali, about forty minutes south of L.A. proper in sunny Huntington Beach. Also a bummer...but we were young then. When you're young you call this "adventurous" and it makes it okay.)

Not that this isn't okay. It's just life, tethering us along. Not much a girl can do about it.

She's asked me to help her to think positive about the whole debacle - er, adventure - and possibly even chime in on neighborhoods where she may potentially enjoy living, since I have lived there.

I'd love to do this for her. But, you know. I've lived there.

To be fair I won't really be of much help anyhow, since when I was a California girl I was just that: a girl. A girl of legal drinking age - but not a girl looking for preschools and playgroups, the unenviable and gargantuan task lying before Miss S. Something tells me that tips on how to get past the bouncers at the Roxy on Sunset won't come in real handy here. (Is the Roxy still open? Do they still have bouncers? I am so old...)

In the interest of being supportive and helping her to "think positive," I am going to search the recesses of my mind for pleasant memories of California. Expect a list of sunny thoughts here sometime soon. You'll find it somewhere between the posts where I gripe about her moving so much farther away...

2 comments:

sarah said...

Dodgers Schmodgers.

Yeah, it sucks. I'll be drinking a lot of wine.

Unknown said...

They have the Dodgers, but no football !! Yeah, I guess you can flap your arms for the Angels, but where is the fun in that, other than the mini-cute-one waving his arms as well.

But hey, on a good note, Football Sundays start with Brunch and are done by dinner time !! None of the 11PM, why did I stay up so late, football games (Darn, I'm getting old too!).

Hopefully, Miss S. will be touring the napa valley, looking for wine, and avoiding the fires.